Monday, March 2, 2009

Purim Prurim

As Purim approaches, many of us are still grappling with the unique Avodah of Adar- to be more joyful, to increase in Simcha.

The principal advice which the Rebbe gave in order to achieve happiness is known as Azamra. It refers to searching and finding within me and in others for the good points. By realizing the good points within me, even if that good itself is somewhat tainted, I can come to joy.

Reb Noson ties this idea to Purim. The word Purim is related to "prurim" which means crumbs. Even if all the good I have is worth no more than crumbs, I can still rejoice with them.

However, many people still have a problem actualizing this concept. They ask, so what if I have some good in me? How does that counteract the fact that I have so much in me which is not good?

It's important to always remember that Reb Noson never leaves us hanging. Every issue that may confront us has already been addressed somewhere in Likutei Halachos or Alim L'Terufah. Our job is just to find it.

Regarding this question, Reb Noson already takes care of it on the first page of Likutei Halachos. Reb Noson explains the passuk, כי ה' יסמכני לא אירא מרבבות..., when I realize that Hashem is with me, I'm not afraid of tens of thousands of enemies. If I have any point or crumb of good within me, that means that Hashem is still with me. That small point where Hashem is with me is enough to stand up to tens of thousands of bad points and sins.

If I would realize the power of good, how one small crumb of good overcomes tens of thousands of real sins, I would have no problem being happy in the face of evil.


No comments:

Post a Comment